Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Wait on the Lord" A Lesson from David

I'm not a patient person.  I've never really been willing to wait on the things I've wanted most in my life, but life isn't always about immediate gratification.  That usually never makes us "happy" for long.

A few months ago, probably closer to half a year by now, God gave me a Word - Shalom, in this instance, meaning "order."  He told me that He was going to put my life in order.

It was a lovely Word.  A Word I needed to hear.  Things started looking up for me then.  Great things began to happen for me, and I couldn't have been happier.  But, about a month ago, things started falling apart in my eyes.  I know God has a plan, but I couldn't see it amidst the turmoil and sadness in my heart. 

God hasn't taken back His Word.  This I know.  But it doesn't mean I'm good at waiting on my Shalom. 

Whenever, I feel down, I turn to Psalms.  The authors always make me feel better with their words.  One verse in particular in the whole of Psalms has stuck with me. 




This particular Psalm is from David - a man after God's own heart.  According to the MacArthur Study Bible I own, it says in Psalm 27, David "engages in 3 conversations which help him balance the ups and downs of real life."

The truth is no matter the promises of God we will still have ups and downs in life.  And we have to learn how to persevere in this life.  It isn't easy - by no means.  But that doesn't mean God has forsaken us.  Quite the contrary actually.  God is more present than ever.  He hasn't moved.  We have.

In Psalm 31:1 David said, "In You, O Lord, I put my trust; Let me never be ashamed; Deliver me in Your righteousness."  And then in verse 24 he says, "Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who Hope in the Lord."

Over in Psalm 37:4 David says, "Delight yourself also in the Lord, And he shall give you the desires of your heart."

It doesn't say may it says shall! God will give us what our heart desires!  We just have to "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him." (Psalm 37:7)

In Psalm 40: 1 David says, "I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry."

Wait patiently for the Lord.  It's tough to though.  I know from experience.  But NEVER give up on what it is you're waiting for.  God promises us that HE will give us the desires of our heart.  And He will!

Patience may not be one of our virtues, but it's something that will help us in the long run.  He will "hear our cry" no matter what it is, but God WILL comfort us and help us.  He will "strengthen our hearts."  Wait for the Lord!  All good things come in HIS TIME.  NOT OURS!

No comments:

Post a Comment