Friday, May 10, 2013

Worrying. What good does it do for you?



I’ve always considered myself a compulsive worrier, and honestly, sometimes, I still fight that worrying.  Worrying used to consume my mind – and body for that matter.  I couldn’t stop thinking about the things that I couldn’t control.  But why should I worry?  What was worrying actually doing for me?  Absolutely nothing except for taking my focus off of God.

I think the devil uses worrying to keep our minds off of that God has promised us.  See here in Matthew 6: 25-33:
                   Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:  And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?  Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?  (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

God says that He knows what we need.  If we just seek Him, he will give us everything that we need.  So why are we worrying about these things?  God has already promised us that we’re going to get them.  We just have to seek Him.

John 16:24
Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

The other day I came across something in James that had me thinking, and this was my thought: Worry is a sin.  Think about it.  When we worry, we aren’t putting our faith where it needs to be in God.  We are doubting that God will take care of our every needs. 

James 1: 6-8
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.  For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.  A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

These verses in James are talking about asking for wisdom, but I feel like we can apply this to everything that we ask for.  Ask in faith, don’t waver because if you do, you’ll be like a wave, tossed here and to.  Don’t think that you can’t receive anything from the Lord.  The Lord supplies all our needs!  Just read back to what He knows that we need.  He will give us these things!

Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

This verse doesn’t say whatever we need.  It says God will supply ALL our needs!  God knows what He’s doing.  God knows what we need.  Just sit back and put you faith where your worry is!  Take out that worry and doubt and substitute it for faith!  What have you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment