Wednesday, September 30, 2015

It's okay to be human.

A common theme that I've been seeing around lately is that people are worried that God can't love them because of the mistakes that they've made. I've been on the receiving end of this feeling. I've lived in extreme guilt because of sins that I've committed. I beat myself up daily because I felt like I had let God down somehow, that I had completely messed up my future because I wasn't the perfect Christian that I thought I had to be.

And even though John (1 John 2:6) urged us to strive to be Christ-like, God also understands that we're only human. If you've read through Psalms, you may have missed a few of these verses, but it says that God knows that we're only human.

38 But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
39 For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again. (Psalm 78)
Of course, the Psalmist was referring to the Israelites, but I know that it still applies to us today. See, God forgives us because He loves us. He's proved that time and time again, but the biggest proof of His love is when He sent His only Son to die for us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

Could you imagine loving someone so much you died for them? I can. I would gladly give my life for my family, but He didn't just sacrifice Himself. He sacrificed His Son. Would you give your kid up for sacrifice for the world? I wouldn't. There's no way I would sacrifice my child (if I had one) for the good of humanity.

The point I'm trying to make is that we have to get it into our heart, soul, and mind just how much God loves us. His love for us isn't dependent on what we do. He simply loves us. You can't mess up enough that the Savior can't save you. And if you do mess up, which let's face it, will happen, God will forgive you.

Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people, thou hast covered all their sin. Selah. (Psalm 85:2)
For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. (Psalm 86:5)
As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12)

God will forgive us of our sins because He understands that's we're only flesh. We're just human. I'm not giving you a get out of jail free card to sin. That's not what this is about. We are supposed to try and not sin, but it still happens. We're weak, and God knows that. But, you shouldn't let your past mistakes keep you from understanding that God will forgive you. He understands that we are human, that we make mistakes.

Don't feel unworthy because of your past. That's just the devil trying to keep you from living a God-filled life. The devil will beat you down so hard that you can't see God standing right in front of you, telling you how much He loves you, but all you have to do is reach out and feel the nail-scarred hand that was proof of His love. 

God doesn't give up on us, and we shouldn't doubt His love for us. If there's one thing I've learned, God will always do something to show you how much He does love you. Maybe this post is that. Maybe it's not, but I'm here to tell you, God loves you for you. He loves you so much that He's willing to forgive you and move on without remembering that sin. Can you forgive and forget? No. We can't because we're human but God. Oh, He's a different story. He will forgive and forget because He's just that amazing.

You are worthy to be loved. Never forget that.

1 comment: