Thursday, July 26, 2012

Just Let Me Forget!


Have you ever just said, “I want to erase the memories of those last few months” or something along those lines?  Do you just want to forget ever making those mistakes that haunt you or forgetting that boy or girl who broke your heart?  And you find yourself almost praying that God will let you forget.

But do we really need to forget those memories?  Sure, it would be a lot easier to forget, but those memories and our pasts will eventually make us stronger.  I know it’s hard to see now, but eventually living life with those memories will get easier.  But if you focus on something – sadly, my focus has been on being angry with the people who hurt me (I’m not saying that I don’t care for them or their souls.  I just feel like being angry helps me get past it.  And I don't suggest anger.  It's not healthy, and I'm working past that.) – it helps to deal with the past. 

I don’t think God wants us to forget our pasts because we’re human.  We learn from what has happened to us.  We grow, and we learn what not to do in our future to keep us happy. 

But how do we move on?  Pray.  Study your Bible.  Focus on God.  Sure, those memories will cross your minds from time to time, but if we keep our focus on God and what He wants from our life, we’ll be much happier.  Also, know that He has forgiven us of our sins if we've ever asked for that forgiveness.  He loves us more than we can ever comprehend.  

Everything happens for a reason.  We may never know the reason for what has happened to us in the past, but God does.  God knows what we need, and He knows where we’re going.  Just have hope.  Hope that it’ll all work out in the future.  Because without hope, how can we have faith?  Without hope and faith, life wouldn’t be worth living.

So, although it would be easier to forget, it wouldn’t be as helpful for our futures if we did.  I have to constantly remind myself of that.  I want to forget.  I want to forget my past relationships and mistakes I’ve made.  I wonder continuously why it even happened if it was only going to end in heartache.  All will be revealed in time.  I just have to wait which isn’t one of my virtues.  Patience is something I’m not good at, but then again, it’s something I’ll have to learn.    

2 comments:

  1. Memories are like baby birds, we can not fight with them, we should have to hold them kindly and gently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true. Very wisely worded as well. :)

      Delete