Monday, July 13, 2015

Edifying Others



It's no secret that our words have power. (Proverbs 18:21 - "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.") We can tear someone down, and we can cause them happiness. The same goes for us, as a whole, we can convince ourselves that we're a horrible, no good person, or we can choose to speak love over ourselves. 

But, what happens when you use your words against someone? Lately, I've seen speeches regarding certain things happening in our country from Christians and non-Christians alike who aren't speaking grace to those who hear it. 

As a Christian, it's our job to spread the message of Christ. We can't do that if we're constantly telling people they're wrong and going to hell. Don't get me wrong. I believe people ought to know the consequences of not coming to the knowledge of Christ as their Savior, but we have to share the message in a loving manner. We have to love them, and we have to tell them that we love them. You can love the sinner and hate the sin, but as the verse above states, you have to be a blessing and give grace to those who need to hear your positive, worthy words. 

It's our job to benefit others by sharing things that would help them spiritually. We have to edify one another, and we have to love one another. 

Jesus commanded us to love one another as He loved the church. That is a love we'll never be able to understand, but it's something that we have to try and emulate. He loved us enough to die for us. He loves us enough to forgive us when we mess up and make a mistake. Are we doing that? Are we loving others and building them up when they make a mistake? Are you forgiving them?

We need to love one another with mercy. We need to speak words that are beneficial to souls. We need to care about one another.

I'm guilty of not always speaking properly towards my fellow man. Sometimes I get angry and say things I don't mean and that I shouldn't say. It's wrong of me, and I have to ask for forgiveness. Verses like Ephesians 4:29 are reminders that our words do hold power, and it's important for us to show God through our actions and words. There's a phrase that is continuously stuck in my mind, "We're the only Bible that some will ever see." How powerful is that statement! We need to remember that when we decide to speak unwholesome words. Who is watching us? Maybe it's the kid in the corner who's given up on God? Maybe it's the wife who just lost her husband and blames God? What are they seeing from the Christian who speaks unkindly against or to someone else? 

I have a hard time remembering this, especially when someone at the grocery store angers me. Putting on a happy face is difficult for me at times, but sometimes, I just need to paste on a smile and remind myself that God loves me as I am, just as He loves the one who angered me. I have to love them too. I have to remember to speak words that are beneficial to their spiritual progress. 

Love one another. Speak kind words. You never know who is watching you, and it's our job to show Christ through our words and actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment