Thursday, August 6, 2015

God loves a Cheerful Giver!

The other day, I was talking to one of my nephews about a list he had "written". (He's four, so it was basically squiggly lines.) It was a list of toys he wanted, and he wanted me to buy it for him. Well, I didn't. I knew that if I bought one toy, I'd have to buy five - one for each of my nieces and nephews. Instead, I bought them all a pack of army men to share. You guessed it, it wasn't good enough.

Either way, I was cleaning out my purse before grocery shopping Monday, and I asked him if he wanted his list back. He asked me if I had bought a toy off of it for him, and I said, "No, baby. I didn't. I can't afford to buy you all one toy each." Just think, I have five nieces and nephews. If I bought each of them a $20 toy, it would cost me $100 just to buy them something.

Now, before I finish this story, let me tell you that I'm more convinced than ever that my nephew is called into the ministry when he's older. It's just a feeling we have, and the rest of this story might just prove that.

Back to the story, now. After I told him that, he said, "But Emmie, God will give it back to you. He will send His angels to give you back your money."

My heart about broke into tiny little pieces. First of all, this four year old grasps concepts we adults have a hard time comprehending, and two, he pays attention during church. Now I know he was using this as a way to get me to buy him toys, but it still made me think. How can this four year old understand what we, as adults, fail to understand? When you sow seeds, you will reap a harvest.

2 Corinthians 9 (verses 6-10) says:

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written:
“He has dispersed abroad,
He has given to the poor;
His righteousness endures forever.”
10 Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness

My mom and I were talking the other day about how we weren't sowing like we should, and that was when we saw a family standing at a stop sign in Walmart parking lot, looking for money. So we gave money to them. I haven't seen a harvest from that sowing, yet, but I am confident that I will because I gave as a "cheerful giver."

Did you see that in the above verses? God loves a cheerful giver. When you give cheerfully, God sees in your heart that you aren't giving out of necessity or grudgingly. He will bless when you give.

I know that one of the hardest things to do is give when you're low on funds, but I tell you, that's when you need to give the most. If you need money, think about the above verses. Whatever you sow, sow believing, sow in faith, sow cheerfully, and God will supply and multiply the seeds you sow! Be ready to reap your harvest.

Take the advice of my four year old nephew, God will send His angels to give back what you've sown into the ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment